For Jeremy's birthday, he requested that I make a 'moist' and 'gooey' type of cake and in the the flavour of chocolate. I chose the icing of Oreo flavour as it was different and I knew it would go really well with the cake.
Jeremy's Birthday post found here.
- 500g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 125g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour, sifted
- 226g Cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3-4 cups of icing sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 3-4 cup of Oreo (finely crushed) *
* It's best to use a food processor. If not available to you, you can use a blender, which is what I did.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line the base of a round cake pan with baking paper.
- Place chocolate, golden syrup and butter together in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir together until well combined and melted.
- Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high for 10 minutes until very thick and pale. Gently fold in flour and the chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Pour into cake pan and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cake. (this makes it easier to remove later).
- Transfer cake pan into the fridge and let it set for 1-2 hours. (I left mine for a good 2 hours).